Unfreeze programs in Windows 7
In previous versions of Microsoft Windows, when a program locked up, there was nothing you could do except the three-finger-salute (CTRL+ALT+DELETE), and hopefully terminate the offending program. That meant losing any unsaved data that you were working on. Worst case scenario was that you would have to restart Windows.
With Windows 7, a new utility has been that added that may help users unfreeze a program or restart it without losing data. The utility is called the Resource Monitor. You can launch the Resource Monitor by typing resmon.exe from the Windows Start/Search box.
Find your frozen process in the CPU pane (it should be highlighted in red), right-click it and select Analyze Wait Chain.
If you see at least two processes in the list, then the lowest, at the end of the tree, is the one holding up your program. If it’s not a vital Windows component, or anything else critical, then save any work in other open applications, check the box next to this process, click End Process, and your locked-up program will often spring back to life.
- This morning, I say good-bye to a dear friend, and a most amazing pet. Kat passed away late last night, after losing the fight against a sudden illness. Her pain is gone and her spirit is free.Read More »
- It is not a sad day for the Seahawks or the 12’s. we made it to the Super Bowl and we played like the champions we are. But only one team can win, and this year it’s the Patriots.Read More »
- Microsoft Vice-President Joe Belfiore released a video today highlighting user experience with Microsoft's newest member of their line of operating systems, Windows 10.Read More »
- I made this Seahawks graphic to commemorate the Seattle Seahawks victory over the St. Louis Cardinals on December 28th, making the Seattle Seahawks the 20145 NFC West Champions.Read More »
- Print | PDFYou think Seahawk fans are loud? That’s only part of it. We are also crazy dedicated to our Hawks. This is my personal playlist of my favorite Seahawks videos on YouTube. Most of it is musical tributes from Seahawk fans, other’s celebrate our Superbowl 48 victory. All of them are inspiring and entertaining. […]Read More »
- Print | PDFThis is a mixed collection of some of my favorite space-geek videos on YouTube. Yes, I am one of those guys who loves documentaries of space and space exploration. I also enjoy scientific lectures and debates about cosmology, astronomy, and physics. Related PostsThe Pacific Northwest from the International Space Station This is a […]Read More »
- ARE YOU READY desktop wallpaperRead More »
- Print | PDFOne of the great joys of being a Seahawks fan, or even a Seahawk player, is all the bad calls we get from the ref’s. Not that all of their calls are bad, but we get more than our share. So, a couple of guys got together and put together this little song […]Read More »
- This article is intended to guide you through a successful Windows XP to Windows 7 upgrade and migration. In writing this guide, I am assuming that your XP machine is a typical configuration, and that you are installing Windows 7 on the same machine.Read More »
- This guide works with Windows 7 home and professional versions, and explains how to install Windows 7 or upgrade a computer using previous versions of Windows to Windows 7.Read More »