Computer Support Specialist, Seattle, WA.
Unfreeze programs in Windows 7
In previous versions of Microsoft Windows, when a program locked up, there was nothing you could do except the three-finger-salute (CTRL+ALT+DELETE), and hopefully terminate the offending program. That meant losing any unsaved data that you were working on. Worst case scenario was that you would have to restart Windows.
With Windows 7, a new utility has been that added that may help users unfreeze a program or restart it without losing data. The utility is called the Resource Monitor. You can launch the Resource Monitor by typing resmon.exe from the Windows Start/Search box.
Find your frozen process in the CPU pane (it should be highlighted in red), right-click it and select Analyze Wait Chain.
If you see at least two processes in the list, then the lowest, at the end of the tree, is the one holding up your program. If it’s not a vital Windows component, or anything else critical, then save any work in other open applications, check the box next to this process, click End Process, and your locked-up program will often spring back to life.
Computer Problems? I Can Help!
I am now offering in-house, onsite, and remote computer and network support in the Seattle area, and including Bellevue, Renton, and Kent. Rates are very low, and service is very professional.
- Computer Repair - Upgrades and Refreshes, Data Recovery, Malware Removal, More!
- Home and Small Office Networking - Wired or Wireless Installation, Troubleshooting, Security
- Seahawk Tribute Video Playlist
- Astronomical Sciences Video Playlist
- Seahawks vs Eagles Pregame Desktop Background
- SEAHAWKS BREAKING SONG
- Upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7
- Installing or Upgrading to Windows 7
- A little StarLight Photography
- OBrienPC Supports Net Neutrality
- Windows 7 System Support Tools
- The Pacific Northwest from the International Space Station
- Free Microsoft Stuff!
- Using BitLocker Drive Encryption
- Windows 7: Backup and Restore
- Recommended Troubleshooting and Free Tech Support Sites
- My thoughts – On raising the minimum wage in Seattle to $15.00
- Supermoon – August 10, 2014
- Getting Geeky with the Seattle Seahawks 2014 Season
- Using Windows Search
- Welcome to Office 365
- Find Drivers for Unknown Devices in the Device Manager
- Windows 7: Cannot Pin to Task Bar (Resolved!)
- The O'Brien Family Coat of Arms
- Go Seahawks!
- Recommended Programs: CCleaner
- Unfreeze programs in Windows 7
- Freelance Services
- Add "Recover Deleted Files" option to Outlook Tools menu
- Changing the Network Adapter Connection Order in Windows
- Karaoke Night at Love's Landing in Renton, WA.
Quote of the Day
A human being has so many skins inside, covering the depths of the heart. We know so many things, but we don’t know ourselves! Why, thirty or forty skins or hides, as thick and hard as an ox’s or bear’s, cover the soul. Go into your own ground and learn to know yourself there. —